View Single Post

Old 04-04-2017, 12:43 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

A few years back, I purchased a Kimber Ultra RCP II .45 (I'm an OLD 1911 guy!) and I really love this particular 1911. But, Georgia gets wicked 'Warm & Sticky' in the summer and in 2013, I elected to 'try' the Shield 9.... At that time, it was only available with the 'thumb safety' (which was just fine, for my 1911 'muscle-memoried' thumb). It was also lighter, more compact, equally accurate, equally reliable, and required much less maintenance (as well as costing only 1/3 the price of my RCP II!). I quickly named my newly purchased Shield ~ 'Ugly Gun 2' ~ ('Ugly Gun', having been many, many, years earlier given to my Smith Model 469, which was an early 9mm vs .45 ACP experiment.). Well..., I have to say that 'Ugly Gun 2' has certainly won its place in my heart, with its many attributes!! It has become my 'daily carry ~ go to' companion, loaded with Hornady rounds (back in my Model 469 experiments, you had to get an 'HP' round moving at 1000 FPS for reliable expansion ~ 'Super Vel' 95 gr. worked pretty well!). With the newer defensive loads available (with their 'short-barreled', 'cookie-cutter', expansion performance), I'm OKAY with my Shield 9! AND..., my Kimber RCP II..., WELL..., it serves as my 'dress-up ~ Special Occasion' companion. I do LIKE the newer Shield .45 (my good friend has one), but I would NEVER part with my Shield 9 (even as an OLD 1911 guy)!! Sorry to ramble! Be SAFE ~ Out There!! ~ Ron
The Following 3 Users Like Post: