View Single Post

Old 04-04-2017, 01:20 AM

Liked 1,364 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBeagle View Post
Here's my thought on the matter...

I've bought a few fairly "irreplaceable" guns because I wanted to use them with a plan to use them, add wear and tear, and generally consume them to the extent one might expect through ordinary use. Resale was just not a consideration. I pay for the gun and get to use the gun. There might be nothing left when I am done.
100% agree. If I buy a gun that is rare or valuable in order to actually use and make my own because that's what I want and enjoy, then the "perceived value" or "desirability" of it in someone else's view means nothing. I bought it to use as a tool and that's what I am going to do, for good or bad.

My main carry gun isn't listed in the poll, so I couldn't vote. I bought it LNIB, as it's the closet equivalent to factory new you can get when they don't make them anymore. I wanted to be the one to break it in and put honest wear on it so I know it's full history.

Fanboys value this gun really high, but it's not rare by any means and could be easily replaced with enough money. Why use such an expensive gun?, because that's what I have a passion for. So why not? If you're wondering what it is still, look at my avatar.

I carry it OWB/IWB concealed and have already started putting honest wear on it. Don't regret any value loss at all. When I am 70, I can only imagine all the "character" it will have. That means way more to me than any pristine safe queen because it has become a companion.

If it gets passed down to my future son someday then it should be even more special to him. If not, I am dead and I don't care if the next guy grumbles because I turned a valuable like new gun into shooter grade.

If by chance I have to use that gun in a self defense situation, then it will be the most cherished gun ever, granted it saves my life. I won't use deadly force unless absolutely warranted, so I have little fear of never seeing it again from confiscation.

My opinion, if you can't live by the above philosophy, then you should choose a different carry piece then.
The Following User Likes This Post: