View Single Post

Old 04-04-2017, 01:26 PM

Liked 84 Times in 51 Posts

Been a while, so I thought I'd pull out the old Victory and snoop around

The Ken Maynard consecutive pair, complete w/Guadalupe S. Garcia tooled brown leather double-gun belt rig with twelve cartridge loops and a pair of "Mexican loop" holsters, Serial # 676786/676787- Victory 38 S&W 5 Inch Solid Rib barrel each also has the 'P' stamped on the left side in front of the hammer.

As I peruse the Victory thread I note another S&W 38 that includes the P stamp. Perhaps the P stood for S&W 38 frame, though the frame is the same, yet helped draw attention/keep tabs/quick ID that this was/or intended for the shorter/slightly tapered cylinder/round.

Another possibility is that the P distinguished a certain slot/series intended on fulfilling an order for homeland security/defense plant, etc.

The Ken Maynard pistolas, save the P, were w/o any proofs/cartouches, that I could determine thru pics, suggesting perhaps never shipped out of the states.

They also had plugged lanyard holes, smooth/flat w/o SN. Of course his had KEN-MAYNARD etched in the butt. I can only speculate what might have originally been stamped on the butt other than SN if anything.

The jeweled hammer on mine shows considerable wear in comparison to the trigger. Suggesting perhaps quite a bit of use/handling. Mine is a reblue no doubt, yet maintains a lot of coverage. Save, front/back of grip continuing to the back of the hump on frame above the stocks. The butt however is not worn which again suggests at least a fair amount of handling on the other areas.

The cylinder has some play, hammer back/trigger pulled, and the left side of the forcing cone, not quite half-way, shows evidence from the front of cylinder sliding across whilst being closed w/arm pointing down. Fair amount of usage that should benefit from being shimmed.

Regardless of whatever the P denotes it is interesting/enjoyable to search on sites as this that provide threads as the Victory aiding tremendously in comparing similarities.

As others have provided jeweled hammer/triggers & raised add-on ribs were somewhat common in customizing back in the day. The most interesting feature of the Ken Maynard set to me was the consecutive SN's albeit not on the butt.

I think I'll step in the backyard and fire off a few rounds.