View Single Post

Old 04-05-2017, 02:10 PM

Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Default Some thoughts

Twenty plus years ago, when I was contemplating whether I should get a CCW, I went through quite a number of thought experiments to try to determine if it was the right decision for me. Not everyone should carry a gun. Some folks are just not emotionally suitable for that responsibility.

Among the thoughts that I had was recalling all of the vignettes at the front of the NRA magazines that I had read over the years. So many of them included a description of the homeowner fighting his way to where the gun was ("he retrieved his gun from the bedroom" was another perennial). This answered the question as to whether to carry in the home.

Another thought was how to decide when and where to carry the gun. After some thinking about this, it made sense to me that you can't predict when you will need to be armed, so if you are going to carry a gun you should carry it everywhere that it is legal to do so. This reinforced the decision to carry in the home because now I don't have to remember to arm myself when leaving the house - I just include that in my daily dress code.

As an afterthought, I have had to retrace my steps a couple of times when I realized that I was on my way to someplace where I could not legally carry a gun.