View Single Post

Old 04-06-2017, 06:39 PM

Liked 29,252 Times in 13,832 Posts
Default Boy did I have the same trouble....

Quote:
Originally Posted by m657 View Post
A friend recently had a raft of trouble chambering 38 Special reloads in his old M10 S&W revolver.

After eliminating all other potential issues, we discovered the spec COL coupled with the fatter 158 RNL he wanted to use, were just a few 1000ths 'too long' despite being as printed in the manual. The ogive of the RNL didn't quite have clearance on a couple of his cylinders. Changed the boolit shape, they worked fine.

These rounds chambered & shot well in all our other 38 specials.
To test further, we loaded up a few in 158 SWC in otherwise same conditions. They fit fine.

Easy fix in that case. Good luck.
Boy did I have trouble with a coated lead RN I was using for 9mm, except the bullet got stuck on the lands. Took months to figure out. I made them shorter and shorter. Didn't help. Finally realized that the profile of the bullet (I think 'small ball') would only work LESS than 1.06" and even the not well. They would stay out of battery just enough to keep the gun from iiring, then you had to pry the gun open. The coating on the bullet was really rough and that didn't help. No more of those.

Last edited by rwsmith; 04-06-2017 at 06:57 PM.