View Single Post

Old 04-07-2017, 05:10 PM

Liked 105 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny2times View Post
Hello everyone,

Just bought my first AR15! Really excited about the sport 2. It was a steal at $499 shipped online with no sales tax! Just had to pay a $20 transfer fee.

That being said, this is my first AR15. I already upgraded the buttstock and grip, and after a lot of reserach I plan on getting a vortex spitfire because I really like the red dot / 3x magnification combo.

Where I could use some advice is the handguard. Am I limited to what I can or cannot put on it? I was thinking of adding a 12" free float keymod handguard and adding a pop up front sight, but I was reading somewhere about that not being possible. I figured this is this place to ask. Thanks in advance!
I wish I had come here BEFORE I bought my Sport II and asked some of these questions. It's really a matter of what you want to do with the rifle and how much are you able to do yourself. If you try to free float the stock barrel, you have to change the gas block and front sight as well. Not a big problem if you are willing , but my advice would be to do something similar to what I did, if you have the funds. That is : leave the Sport II handguard and barrel the way it is and buy another complete upper and BCG to play with and modify as you please until you find what you like. I ended up investing about $250 in another complete upper with free float hand guard.
After you have a plan, then you can buy another lower to go with your new upper. Now you have two Ar-15's and you can keep the Sport II original so you can sell it, keep it for range/home defense use, or modify it for a totally different purpose. Just my opinion !