View Single Post

Old 04-08-2017, 09:51 PM

Liked 21,523 Times in 6,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrwalsh View Post
I have three S&Ws with the magazine disconnect. Two of them I shoot in competition on occasion and have therefore removed the magazine safety. It makes clearing the weapon at the end of the course of fire MUCH easier and safer. I am reluctant to diddle with any safety device on a serious carry gun simply due to the possibility of a sleazebag lawyer or DA making an issue of it. Why give anti-gun psychos any extra angle on you if you don't have to?
And it happens, because I remember being involved in such a case in the People's Republic of Maryland back when I was still practicing. A careless neighbor accidently shot and killed the plaintiffs' son with a FEG pistol, which is an exact copy of the Browning High Power. In their presumed grief, they sued everybody in sight, including my firm's client, a major firearms manufacturer. Their claim was that our client manufactured an unsafe gun that could fire without the magazine in it, or in the alternative the magazine disconnect didn't work and allowed the gun to fire without the magazine in it. I normally didn't work on product safety cases but I contacted the litigation attorney to volunteer my expertise, which I later heard put a chill into opposing counsel. I got to examine the gun to confirm that it was not manufactured by our client and establish that the magazine disconnector worked. On the motion to dismiss, I swore out an affidavit that I was an expert on firearms by reason of 40 years in competitive shooting and declared that 1) our client had not produced any kind of standard handgun since World War II 2) the handgun was a copy of a long respected handgun design 3) the handgun was of quality manufacture as evidenced by its steel frame and 4) every safety device on the handgun in question was in working order. Our client got dismissed from the case without having to appear in court at all.
The Following User Likes This Post: