View Single Post

Old 04-08-2017, 09:54 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,660 Times in 1,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger-4641 View Post
I wish I had come here BEFORE I bought my Sport II and asked some of these questions. It's really a matter of what you want to do with the rifle and how much are you able to do yourself. If you try to free float the stock barrel, you have to change the gas block and front sight as well. Not a big problem if you are willing , but my advice would be to do something similar to what I did, if you have the funds. That is : leave the Sport II handguard and barrel the way it is and buy another complete upper and BCG to play with and modify as you please until you find what you like. I ended up investing about $250 in another complete upper with free float hand guard.
After you have a plan, then you can buy another lower to go with your new upper. Now you have two Ar-15's and you can keep the Sport II original so you can sell it, keep it for range/home defense use, or modify it for a totally different purpose. Just my opinion !
I did .. came and read every blog and then finally joined but read about AR's for a year .. decided I had 0 tools that would be needed and no previous gunsmithing experience even though I have shot since 1959 .. so decided the thing in my case would be to buy basically the way I wanted it set up .. Bought a MagPul Tactical model with Troy Quad Rail .. came under $800 with shipping and transfer fee .. others will go the way of the OP and I don't think anything wrong in doing either way ..
The Following User Likes This Post: