Thread: Polishing a 686
View Single Post

Old 04-08-2017, 11:04 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

After reading this blog I decided to work on my gun and bring the blog to the front again.
I wanted to polish my 686-4 and do a trigger job. I saw several videos on how to disassemble
and reassemble my revolver. After watching them multiple times it seemed easy enough which
it was. I filed/smoothed out the areas they showed you and I polished the rest with Mothers
Mag and Aluminum Polish. I replaced the springs with the Wolffs spring pack. After the trigger work,
the polishing and the Wolff springs it’s like night and day. I didn’t like shooting the gun double
action. Now I’ll use it double action only. The trigger is that light and smooth.
I started polishing the gun by hand using Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. Spent about 10 hours
on it by by hand giving it around 20 coats. Then I used my Dremel on the trigger and hammer area. Then
I bought some buffing wheels from Harbor Freight to use in my drill. I thought the buffing wheels were
nice for the price. They held up well. Someone on one of these blogs said he thought Flitz was better
than any other polish. So I bought some Flitz. I gave the gun 3 coats of Flitz. I thought it made the
shine look dull. So back to the Mothers. So after around 30 or so coats of polish I topped it off with 3
coats of Renaissance wax. The gun really came out nice. I didn’t want to put the black Hogue rubber
grips back on. So I shopped around online. I saw some Hogue rosewood grips for $100. I also saw rosewood grips from Pachmayr on Ebay for $30 delivered. For the price I’d give them a try. When they came I noticed they were a very high gloss shine. They looked much better the the Ebay photo. They are slippery but I think I can overcome that. They do look nice on the gun. I’m sorry but I prefer revolvers to autos. I do have a S&W 40 S&W Sigma. But I still like my 66 and 686.

The Following User Likes This Post: