View Single Post

Old 04-09-2017, 01:36 AM

Liked 99 Times in 23 Posts

Hi GA, fancy seeing you over on this side of the fence! Didn't know that you were also a S&W revolver guy...

Yes, that photo was taken with some of the smaller springs still resting in their component parts. I am debating on whether to fully disassemble the hammer, or just ultrasonically clean it as-is. I will tear down the cylinder assembly tomorrow.

The springs all seem OK. I haven't touched the main spring. Haven't really done anything yet. Lots of options on the springs. The internals look pretty darn good, though. The only part I would consider mirror polishing would be the rebound slide.

And I agree with your recommendation to lube everything and try it again. I have experienced a situation where very minor late timing was resolved with a thorough cleaning. However, that was with the timing equally late on all cylinders, not just two. And the action of the Pre-29 is not at all gummed up, although it is really dry. Not sure a cleaning and new springs will fix this particular problem. It will be interesting to see how this one evolves.

Note that the .005" is my goal. Right now the C/B gap is zero at rest, so I need to set it back to spec to prevent wear over the next several hundred rounds.