View Single Post

Old 04-09-2017, 12:22 PM

Liked 7,560 Times in 1,441 Posts

I have a thing for shotguns; much more so than a thing for Smith & Wesson revolvers. Above all else I think of myself as an upland bird hunter and it is what my life revolvers around. For over 40 years there has been an English Setter or two in the house. My gun safe is full of various side by side shotguns and a few pumps. Beside my desk I have grouse tails sitting on the book shelf that is filled with books on hunting birds. I am a bird hunter. I have side by side shotguns made to hunt upland game from 12 to 28 gauge. Of those guns there are few that are special and what I grab most often when heading into the field, grass and sage covers hills and my secret grouse coverts. Of those guns there is one that is very special is a 120 year old Belgian double.

That Belgian side by side shotgun was manufactured for the sporting goods store William Read & Son of Boston. I have couple shotguns I shoot better but not by much. The quality of manufacture of the William Read is about equal to my H&H. Even after 120 years when it snap shut, it does so with that solid snap of quality. There is just so much about this old double that makes it something special. One is the type of man that ordered this gun.

I wish I knew that man. I would love to know his thought process when ordering this gun, all those years ago. He did so with a purpose. He knew something about what makes a perfect upland hunting side by side shotgun; especially when hunting over a good pointing dog. The man that ordered this gun was a very forward thinker. He was a man of good taste in guns. He ordered a very finely made shotgun. It is tastefully engraved with beautiful but understated wood. It has a few other fine touches, checkered cheeks, horn butt plate and side clips to add a little straight and stabilization to the barrels. Nothing about it is over the top. It shows he ordered it for himself without a thought of impressing others.

According to the Belgian nitro proof stamps on its 26 inch fine Damascus barrels, it was choked cylinder and full. The load recommended was a 1 1/8 oz. 3 dram load of 33 grains Schultze & New “E.C.” Bulk Smokeless powder. That would be a great load for pa'tridge (ruffed grouse) in New England. Having that cylinder bore for that close shoot as a tight sitting pat flushes wildly out from in front of a solid point in thick cover. That is what you want for that close first shot; an open choke. That second shot. from the full barrel, shows the man was deliberate with his second shot. He willing to wait for the right moment to pull the trigger as the bird slaloms through the trees.

The stock dimensions are not the norm for most American shotguns of the period. At that time most shotguns sold had a huge amount of drop at comb and heal of the butt stock. Most today find those old doubles nearly unshootable but they wouldn't find that with this shotgun. It has dimensions you would find on a modern Browning or Beretta. The first owner knew his guns and I suspect how to shot them. He was not your average New England farmer shooting rabbits, squirrels and limb swatting grouse for the pot. He hunted more than likely hunted with a pointing dog like a a well trained English Setter. I suspect the thought of limb swatting a sitting bird was repugnant to him. He hunted for the sport and all that it involved. I think adding a bird to his bag was just a small part of why he hunted.

He was fastidious in his care of his guns. This gun has seen a lot of rounds but is still tight as a tick. He kept the hook cleaned and properly lubricated. There is no oil soaked into the head of the stock which shows care and proper storage. The barrels still measure as proofed and are still bright after 120 years. This gun was always cleaned at the end of the day. Those barrels still show a reasonable amount of their original plum brown and white finish. They ring like church bells when hung from the hook on one finger and tapped. Yes, it shows the original owner, and others that became caretakers, of this fine gun did their job while its guardian.

When I saw this old gun, I had to be its next caretaker. I still hunt with it and it has made some memories. I killed my first Sharptail grouse with it; over solid point from Gentry one of my English Setters. I've shot pheasant over other points by Gentry and Timber. I've used it to hunt sage grouse, pheasant, sharpies and ruffed grouse.

It is a gun that I will not part with in my lifetime. Hopefully when I pass it will go to a new caretaker. A caretaker that will also appreciate it, use it as intended, care for it and then pass it on.

Last edited by Bill Bates; 04-09-2017 at 05:07 PM.
The Following 24 Users Like Post: