View Single Post

Old 04-09-2017, 09:47 PM

Liked 7,687 Times in 2,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&WIowegan View Post
Yo jimmr! I highly recommend a BULLET PROOF holster for appendix carry. I personally know 2 people who have shot themselves during appendix carry. Both were highly experienced, long-time shooters; one was a gun writer the other was teaching a class when he shot himself. Both survived but one is wearing a neuticle instead a testicle.
Well said; I know one personally myself, been preaching it on forums for awhile now.

BUT -- it does help to define the OP's understanding of appendix; and I feel that misunderstanding is what has led to some unnecessary arguments on forums in the past.

Though in the middle 20th century, 2:00 on the belt was called appendix even with the muzzle to the rear, it would literally be correct to call 1:00 as appendix (because that's where the appendix actually is). But the original definition was a substitute for the clocking system, and the other terms were 'spleen' (same carry but on the left side, usually crossdraw) and 'kidney' (either side of the spine, and known today as 4:00 or FBI carry).

My definition of 1:00 or 12:00 (or 11:00) carry is 'belly carry'. It was not done in the 20th century (you'll not find a pic of it anywhere from that era) and is entirely an early 21st century abomination (as it violates the 1st rule of gun handling: never point at anything you don't mean to shoot).

So: OP please define 'appendix' as it means to you?