View Single Post

Old 04-09-2017, 10:00 PM

Liked 7,749 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.b View Post
Well, I'm surprised that no one has posted a Bianchi "Lightning".
It's there, post #20 from db :-). Its era is a bit late to suit the OP's query; would have to check my Bianchi catalogues to be sure as to late '70s or early '80s. And although I created it for the company, to suit the Bodyguards et al. when the #5BH wouldn't, nevertheless it's just the latter holster with the thumbsnap moved to be a fingersnap; so not much of a challenge for even a novice designer (except for perhaps thinking of it in the first place). I think it's still in their line, as one of a handful that survived into the 21st century from my period there.

The Gaylord v Theodore query: backsides show both men's version (here the one NOT marked Seventrees is the Gaylord). Both men used the rivets at one end or the other of the seam; use of the rivets I find puzzling because they both used nylon thread before any of the rest of us; and used the dense horsehide, too; so I doubt they could've had seam failures. Either they over-engineered, or the rivet was for some other reason. Be aware that neither of them used welts in the seam, so these are not correctly called 'threepersons' holsters. Instead they relied on double stitching and were the first to do it; Bruce Nelson later copied it for his holsters. Chic's and Paris's are always stitched 'upside down' at the welt: the bobbin side is facing outwards; whereas all other makers have the bobbin side to the backside of the holster; I believe this is because they used flatbed sewing machines and the belt loop got in the way of doing it conventionally, whereas saddlery machines are designed to avoid 'things that go bump in the night' on the backside.

chic then paris (15).jpeg

chic then paris (16).jpg

Neither is better than the other, because neither is optimal. Bianchi's version is best and was used by Wolfram (who likely created it) and by Shoemaker and Safariland (start at the pointed tip, go around twice and about 1/8" apart, finishing at the pointed tip, which is furthest from the point of strain). Heiser and Bucheimer (same designer) and Myres used a single loop 'round the outside; with Myres strongest for starting at the tip and Bucheimer weakest for starting at one corner near the belt with no meaningful stitch overlap there.

Last edited by rednichols; 04-09-2017 at 10:26 PM.
The Following 12 Users Like Post: