View Single Post

Old 04-10-2017, 10:48 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
This past weekend, I ccw'ed a 4Th Model Safety Hammerless .38s&w, shipped in 1904 . ( And yes, its owner ccw's it on occasion.)

Rides great in front jeans pocket . Shoots to the sights, I hit 5 for 5 on steel plate at his private range. Power level at least on par with a .380. I like, wouldn't mind having somthing this.

I thought about it afterwards, and this is oldest ( actual production, not design) I have actually carried.

How about it people, anyone carried older, either in terms of date of production, or relative age at the time ?

It's not the age nor finish that counts on a carry piece but the reliability and mechanical condition. Tho old top break DA revolvers have weak trigger return springs just from age. Find and keep a spare TR spring. Also, pop off the sideplate, clean out a century of gook and dirt, just place a few tiny dabs of automotive grade high temperature synthetic grease (e.g. high temp wheel grease) on the moving parts and you should be good.

Should it ever happen to you when you need it most, usually you can manipulate the trigger forward with your finger and get off another shot and likely repeat the procedure as needed.

On the standard top breaks with a exposed hammer you could just keep pulling the trigger back but on a Safety hammerless you don't have that option.

Also check out a newer (1990 or newer) 642, not quite as small but almost and much more reliable.

Last edited by model3sw; 04-10-2017 at 10:54 AM. Reason: amended
The Following 2 Users Like Post: