View Single Post

Old 04-11-2017, 07:09 AM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
I don't even think he was carrying. It appears to me that he stepped back and grabbed the gun from behind the counter. If that is true (i.e., that the gun was hidden behind the counter), then I think it is more likely than not that the gun was fully hot and ready to go.
At 1:08/1:09 on Muss' video, you can see him draw from behind his apron. Spam pause/play for ghetto frame-by-frame and it's very easy to see. He might have retrieved it and then tucked it behind the apron.

Contrary to the "commentary" from the anchor, I don't think that he got off the first shot. At 1:09 he rolls his left ankle pretty hard before falling over. You can see some smoke or dust or something coming up from the floor nearby. There's no smoke anywhere near his gun. It looks to me like he took a shot to the leg and fell over.

As he's falling, it appears that he might have gotten a shot or two off, but that could be muzzle blast from the nearest robber.

While he's down, he appears to have some trouble with his gun. He's already wounded by this point. He tries manipulating the slide, but his hands and arms aren't working. He's promptly shot dead.

I don't actually think he ever got his gun working. He was pretty much out of the fight as soon as he got shot (2 seconds), down in 4, dead in 6.

Was he bad at guns? Who the hell knows. He was terrified, and by the time he tried to clear whatever his stoppage was, he was already shot-up. I don't know about you guys, but I've never tried to clear a stoppage with a gunshot wound or two and three guys shooting at me inside a convenience store.

He probably would have been better off trying to stay behind the counter, but the son was exposed and the layout of the store is unclear. For some reason he chose to charge his attackers--moving directly towards them made him very easy to hit while making it harder for him to shoot accurately. Cover, distance, or lateral movement, in that order, would have served him better.

Until he gets killed, he keeps at least trying to fight. In that respect, he did better than most.

Did he make the right decision? Who knows what he was dealing with. For all we know, the Bad Guys just told him and his son to head into the back office. And we all know how that story ends. This could be the least-bad of a terrible set of options.

Lessons? Miserable ones. Simple is better--point and squeeze is good. And there are fights you cannot win.

And perhaps somewhat morbidly, view the situation from the other side. Three armed guys took four seconds to take an ordinary guy out of the fight--six if you count until the sudden volley of fire at 6 seconds that killed him. And this is a situation that, until the point the store owner drew, they had complete control over. If it hadn't been for that early hit, it would've been bloody for both sides.

So don't count on just a couple rounds winning a fight, and don't presume it's going to be over in "2 seconds" or whatever made-up statistic is getting thrown around on the internet these days.

Last edited by Wise_A; 04-11-2017 at 07:15 AM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: