View Single Post

Old 04-12-2017, 01:32 PM

Liked 15,506 Times in 6,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontargetagain View Post
So far my Shield 45 has been wonderful and exceeds my expectations. I have shot factory 230 RN FMJ and Extreme 200gr SWC plated with not a single issue.

However the other day I picked up some Berry's Target Hollow Points, 200gr bullets. Berry's lists max OAL at 1.275, I loaded to 1.1950, they dropped in the Lyman case gauge easily, they fired in my friends Ruger 1911 as well as another 1911.

Attempted to chamber in the first round into my Shield and the slide did not go into full battery and jammed pretty tight. I ejected the round, inspected and tried another with the same result. Looking closer there was noticeable scuffing on the edge where the tape of the nose meets the straight wall of the side. I thought maybe there could have been too much crimp and it expanded the bullet at this point being a plated bullet but I measured and they were still .451 at the edge. I pulled the barrel from the shield and sure enough they don't drop in, I tried another dummy round at max COL and kept seating deeper, but even then when I got it flush with the hood of the barrel it didn't 'plunk' in and it was pretty short at this point.

These reloads shot fine out of my 625 45acp revolver.

Forget the case quage, and other guns. Also the Berry Max COL (That is SAAMI spec) Berry does not give load data

but even then when I got it flush with the hood of the barrel it didn't 'plunk' in and it was pretty short at this point.

It's just not making sense to me on the 'why' part, a little help please on this issue.
Thanks
Karl

What length is that??

I have not used that specific bullet but similar and you COL should be around 1.20 to 1.205 with a taper crimp at say .470 at the case mouth.

If you try to plunk even with shorter length and not have a taper crimp on it will not chamber.

Sometimes it only takes a teeny tiny bit of wither the seating or crimp.