View Single Post

Old 04-12-2017, 04:27 PM

Liked 29,253 Times in 13,833 Posts
Default I had a similar problem....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontargetagain View Post
So far my Shield 45 has been wonderful and exceeds my expectations. I have shot factory 230 RN FMJ and Extreme 200gr SWC plated with not a single issue.

However the other day I picked up some Berry's Target Hollow Points, 200gr bullets. Berry's lists max OAL at 1.275, I loaded to 1.1950, they dropped in the Lyman case gauge easily, they fired in my friends Ruger 1911 as well as another 1911.

Attempted to chamber in the first round into my Shield and the slide did not go into full battery and jammed pretty tight. I ejected the round, inspected and tried another with the same result. Looking closer there was noticeable scuffing on the edge where the tape of the nose meets the straight wall of the side. I thought maybe there could have been too much crimp and it expanded the bullet at this point being a plated bullet but I measured and they were still .451 at the edge. I pulled the barrel from the shield and sure enough they don't drop in, I tried another dummy round at max COL and kept seating deeper, but even then when I got it flush with the hood of the barrel it didn't 'plunk' in and it was pretty short at this point.

These reloads shot fine out of my 625 45acp revolver.

It's just not making sense to me on the 'why' part, a little help please on this issue.
Thanks
Karl
I had the same problem with some 9mm bullets in compact guns due to short chambers and bullets without a profile that was tapered enough. I'll save you the grief and suggest that you load them shorter, almost to minimum length if necessary.

Talk about SHORT AOL. I finally found that it was recommended to load these to 1.06". That's .06" over SAAMI minumum for the cartridge. I actually had to load them even shorter to get them to run, trouble free. There were some defects in the coating that would cause interference even at this short length. No more of those bullets for me.

Getting reloads that would run in my various guns, compact, full size, even carbine takes a combination of AOL and powder charge to work in all of them that varies widely with the type of bullet I use..

PS: I know how it feels to have a large percentage of rounds short of going into battery by about 1/16" but be so jammed into the lands of the barrel that it takes a LOT to get them ejected, sometimes even pulling the bullet. Doesn't make for a fun time at the range.

Last edited by rwsmith; 04-12-2017 at 04:39 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: