View Single Post

Old 04-12-2017, 10:48 PM

Liked 597 Times in 332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
This points to that fact that compact or subcompact guns have little tolerance for variations in ammo. Being primarily for SD, loading a cartridge to SAAMI specs isn't a guarantee that it is going to work well. For SD a round that's PROVEN to work in THAT GUN is vitally important.

RN being usually the most universally reliable bullet, I loaded those smallball jobs and expected them to work no problem. It ended up taking about a month to get to the bottom of the problem. Like I said, even loading at the recommend AOL I immediately ran into bad trouble, prying cartridges out of the chambers. Not a fun way to shoot.
Yes on knowing for sure your SD gun is reliable with the ammo you have in it. Unfortunately SD ammo is really pricey so I often wonder how many folks just assume it it going to work when they need it to vs have run at least 100 rounds of it through the gun. I see some of those fancy bullets like the R.I.P and wonder if they are reliable feeders or not. Very cool bullet I must say.

That was the first time I had a slide jam up though I primarily shoot revolvers so it is likely more common than I know of. I walked out of the shooting stall and got an experienced range officer who had seen it before and cleared it for me, of which I had to do the second time when I tried to feed the next round LOL
This all was a good lesson for me, the jam, the problem and resolve.
Karl
The Following User Likes This Post: