View Single Post

Old 04-12-2017, 11:15 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50 Times in 23 Posts
Default Not the best day at the range

I finally was able to go to the range to break in both the MP Bodyguard 380 and the 45 Shield. Both were brand new, oiled clean and ready to fire. I'll start out with what good there was.

The 45 Shield: 100 rounds of Federal 230gr ball, 100 rounds of Freedom Arms reman 230gr ball, 25 rounds of Buffalo Bore 230gr JHP, 25 rounds of Winchester 230gr JHP and 14 rounds of Underwood +P 120gr Extreme Defender. I had 20-30 failures to feed. Mostly using the Federal ball, but it did it with every round except the Buffalo Bore and Underwood. My shooting technique with the Shield had something to do with it and seemed to get better shooting 6 magazines back to back rapid fire with the Freedom Arms with no issues.

The ugly. Bodyguard 380. The only rounds it shot without any issue were the Underwood. It hated 90gr Remington and Winchester ball. I only went thru maybe 100 rounds as it had multiple issues - slide not locking back after last round,failure to eject, failure to feed, failure to extract, multiple stove pipes, every other shot and when I thought it began to shoot well using the Winchester HST 90gr the magazines would eject every other shot. I even had one of the range guys shoot it and the magazines would eject every other round. We both shot it one handed vs two handed. Made zero difference. My wife is SO PIXXED that I didn't get her the Sig vs this *** Bodyguard.

For shxts and grins I ran a 100 rounds of 230gr ball, JHP, HST and Underwood Extreme defender thru my Hipoint JHP without any issues.

I left the 380 with their gunsmith to look at it and hopefully it will be sent back to SW for repair or replacement.

As of today....not a fan of either SW. I had such high hopes of both. Likewise, any recommendations to reduce the "pain" of the kick of the Shield? I was using shooting gloves and after that many rounds my hands had had enough.

Last edited by ColRJBrinkman; 04-12-2017 at 11:28 PM. Reason: added text