Thread: Penetrating oil
View Single Post

Old 04-13-2017, 02:38 AM

Liked 1,364 Times in 560 Posts

I wouldn't call this test "recent". The results you mention are an exact copy of a test that has been done at least 4 years ago if not longer and has been on the web for the same. A google search will yield it. Even so, it is good info and thanks for sharing because evidently some haven't heard about it before. I believe Kerosene can be substituted for acetone too.

I know because about a year ago I needed the best to loosen a very rusted anode rod on my water heater. Half acetone and half ATF is supposedly the best and everyone who has tried it usually agrees. It worked miracles on my anode rod with 18hrs time given. Before that, an impact driver wouldn't loosen it.

I am not sure what the old ATF was like, but the generic Dexron/Mercon does in fact separate. When you use it, you must shake it up well right before applying. To each their own though.

Playing with acetone is nothing to be afraid of, and this mixture is something you can do only when needed and doesn't need to be made in large batches requiring storage. Given the cost savings, Kroil wouldn't even be an option compared to this, which works better.

Last edited by iPac; 04-13-2017 at 02:41 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: