Thread: Shockwave!
View Single Post

Old 04-13-2017, 06:30 PM
Banned

Liked 32,463 Times in 7,773 Posts

Well, since we're talking about the Shockwave (in what I believe is the third thread about it), I'll offer my impressions of the gun.

Overall, I like it. At only 5.25 pounds, it seems incredibly light compared to my Model 12 riot guns.

I was pleasantly surprised at the recoil and muzzle jump. It isn't near as bad as I'd imagined. Using 0000 Buckshot and #4s...2-3/4 shells.

There are two things I kinda don't like about the gun.

One is the (to me) strangely shaped slide release on the right behind the trigger guard. I don't understand why it's shaped like that, instead of just being a bit thicker and rounded off with maybe some grooves in it. It has a sort of sharp edge on it, a bit of a point if you hit it wrong.

The other thing is the tang safety. Now, I like tang safeties just fine, okay? And there'll be no doubt in your mind whatsoever when you're sliding it forward to release it...because it feels like Mossberg went out of their way to give its serrations uncomfortably sharp edges. It feels like I'm running my thumb over a coarse metal file or something. It's also a bit hard to disengage, but maybe that'll loosen up with use. I haven't fired it that much.

Regarding scabbards for the Shockwave. I view this gun as a home defense/self-defense weapon, so I see no need for a scabbard for myself. I don't envision taking it along hiking in the mountains or through the woods. I might consider taking it along in the car or truck, but not in any sort of a scabbard or case...I don't want to have to use one hand to hold the scabbard and the other hand to remove the gun from it. It's small enough to lay on the seat under a coat or something. I may add sling swivels...haven't decided yet. Will not be adding tacticool stuff like a rail or light or one of those sidesaddle things.

For anyone who's interested, you can click here to read the BATFE's letter to Mossberg. I plan on making copies of it for each vehicle, along with copies of the purchase receipt. And possibly reduced size copies to keep in my billfold.

And as Mossberg cautions, the BATFE letter applies only to federal regulations. Laws, regs, or ordinances pertaining to this type of weapon may vary state to state, or even county to county and city to city.

So for now, I'm pleased with the gun overall. It's replaced one of my Model 12 riot guns as the laying-on-the-bedside-table-gun. No point to including any photos with this post...you see one Shockwave, you've seen 'em all.

Oh yeah...all this is just my opinion, okay?
The Following 9 Users Like Post: