View Single Post

Old 04-14-2017, 12:56 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 651 Times in 244 Posts
Default THIS is Your Mind on S&W

Q. How might one possibly make a lonely, rare S&W Model 5906-03 happier?

A. Find its one-off, younger sister.

Yes, Sevens, it's true.

While concluding the transaction for No. 0116 overheard was talk of a second that had a "confirmed" sale.

"There is another!?"

"Yes, but it's sold," said the sultry sales associate (Yes, wimmin, even good-looking wimmin, do involve themselves in gun sales)..

And that was that.

"Aww, shucks," Ol' DC said to hisownself.

And then, aloud, Ol' DC made it perfectly clear that he wished to likewise acquire No. 0117 should something, anything go amiss on the supposedly, presently constituted deal for No. 0117 but nevertheless kissed it goodbye, sight unseen, because I really doubted I'd ever see it.

About a week later, I strolled into that same local gun Store (LGS) to take possession of a rather large incoming order for me from Rock Island that hit my favorite gun place while I was on a biz trip to the Left Coast.

Despite the absence of the usual two LGS sales associates who handle my gun orders I went in to pick up the shipment because I wished to see and handle a couple of arms for which I'd gotten especially good deals.

When seated and yet another permission slip from my mommy and daddy had been validated the servicing sales associate said, "And do you still want the 5906?"

At first I though he was speaking of the gun I'd already bought a paid for and was, in my mind, thinking "double charge; don't be charging me twice, now!"

Attacking it from another angle, I asked if it was a "5906-03" and to which the affirmative was answered.

Then I asked if it was "S.N. 0117" and I about fell out of my chair when he answered in the affirmative.

"Yes, Sir, I'm still interested. Rack me up."

And, that was that.

The story's moral . . . never give up. Never stop thinking that something over which you've no control is a totally done deal. And keep ragging on the LGS people so they know you're more than interested; that you'll actually buy it sight unseen. And should the object of your attention be a little less than expected, buy it anyway, for you want to establish and maintain a level of trust with your LGS that will inevitably lead to telephone calls saying something like, "Hey DC, a really interesting Smith & Wesson just came in and I put it behind the counter with your name on it . . ." which is exactly how I scored No 0116.
The Following 21 Users Like Post: