View Single Post

Old 04-14-2017, 04:30 AM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky wonder View Post
wasn't the early 03's chambered for the 30-03 that is a weaker round than the 30-06?
While that is true all the 1903 rifles chambered for the original .30-03 cartridge were recalled to have their barrels set back and rechambered for .30-06. The few that were not converted are rare collector items. Consequently finding cartridges for them is not a problem for the average Joe. The low serial number Springfields under discussion here were .30-06s. After a tiny number of their receivers failed in the field it was determined that their heat treatment was faulty. During heat treating workers had been judging the temperature by the color of the metal. Pyrometers (high temperature thermostats) were installed and the procedure was changed from a single heating and quenching to a hardening followed by tempering. When low number Springfield 1903s were returned for an arsenal rebuild low number receivers were destroyed. However, there was never a recall of all of them. Many were issued again during WW II. Large numbers of low number Springfield 1903s were sold as surplus to civilians and remain in use. I owned one that had been sporterized into a very attractive hunting rifle. While I only shot cast bullets through it the man I bought it from hunted with it with common factory cartridges and so did the man I sold it to. (I loaned the man I sold it to my copy of Hatcher's Notebook before he bought it so he could make an informed decision.) No doubt the ammo manufacturers' are well aware that some of their .30-06 cartridges will be fired in low number '03s.

Since this is the first time that I've read it I am skeptical about the claim that Model 1895 Winchesters did not hold up to .30-06. However, I'm no expert on Winchesters. The only Model 1895 I reloaded for was my uncles' .35 Winchester. (For those not familiar with it, that is a larger cartridge than the common .35 Remington. It is a necked down .405 Winchester that fired a 250 grain .358" spitzer at 2,400 fps)

Last edited by k22fan; 04-14-2017 at 05:02 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: