View Single Post

Old 04-14-2017, 04:12 PM

Liked 803 Times in 419 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryWoody View Post
I recently purchased a Shield 45. It was purchased as a CCW gun. I have put 150 rounds through it. I experienced the dreaded drop magazine 5 times. So, I'm on the forums and Youtube looking for possible fixes. It seems to be a commonly known issue since 2012 when the Shield first came out.

Being a "handy" person with some home smithing experience (built a 1911 from a 60% casting), I decided to take a look at improving the magazine issue.

I removed the magazine release and broke down the magazines. I noticed that the inserted magazine is held in place by a small area of the release.

This doesn't allow much margin for error to retain the magazine. But that shouldn't be the problem. The magazine drop issue seems to be a bit more random.

Next I looked at the follower as it travels near the magazine release. In that area the fit is tight. I realized that my drops occurred at or about round 3. This places the follower right next to the release.

I believe the recoil pulse coupled with pressure on the magazine base (problem seems worse in the extended round magazine) may cumulatively add up to a depressed magazine release. I noticed I do contact the magazine base with the support hand. The extended magazine acts as a longer lever.

I decided to experiment with the magazine. Magazines are way cheaper than a pistol. I had read that on the Shield 40 they would dimple the top lip of the magazine to resolve the issue. I used a 3/32 punch and carefully bent the top edge out for a bit more lip. In doing so, I did press a portion of the bottom edge into the magazine. I used a small file to take that edge off and keep it smooth inside the magazine.

On the magazine follower I noticed that where the metal plate is inserted there was a slight pucker to the plastic. I used some sand paper (220 and 1200 grit) to remove the protrusion and smooth out that area.

Now when the magazine is inserted it seems more positive. I test fired a couple of magazines to see if there was improvement. I had no issue. I'll be shooting another 100 rounds over the next few days and see if it is cured.

I believe that the magazine drop issues occur when all the factors above line up. The magazine release should have a slightly longer penetration into the magazine slot. The follower should be thinned a bit to avoid contact of the release.

I think the Shield design is a good one. It is certainly in a class by itself for cost versus value. The Shield 45 in incredibly accurate for such a small barrel. The recoil pulse is very manageable. With a few modifications it should be a favorite carry gun.
Good job and sound engineering diagnosis Woody,, one can only assume that Smith and Wesson have a difficult time managing tolerances and as you notice plastic is prone to deformity from the manufacturing processes.