Thread: Case prep help
View Single Post

Old 04-14-2017, 06:00 PM

Liked 399 Times in 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
This misconception still survives but the press has little to do with the quality or the process, It is just faster. I inspect all my match ammo cases prior to loading them. I still gage all my ammo before boxing & that is my final QC check. I am just pulling the handle less times to get the same thing you get. Plenty of guys are loading sub moa ammo on their progressives. My handgun ammo is far better than the cheap bulk factory stuff & it all comes off a progressive.
I'm 67 and have been reloading over 47 years and have never needed or wanted a progressive press. This is not a misconception, I do not not think anyone should start reloading on a progressive press until they learn the basics.

The OP is just starting to reload rifle ammunition and there is nothing wrong starting with a single stage press and doing "ONE" thing at a time.

Below "Froggy" has both type presses and reloads his rifle ammunition on a single stage Rockchucker press. So send him a email and tell him about his "misconception" and choice of reloading press for rifle ammunition.

Part II — RELOADING
Elements of Accuracy — Making Perfect Ammo

Q: With the micro-sized groups you shoot, you must be doing some special voodoo. What is the secret to super-accurate reloads?

The secret to accuracy is that there is no secret–a good robust process that is repeatable every time is the key.

Q: OK, then, describe your reloading process…

When I get home from the range, I tumble the brass for a couple of hours to clean the necks up. After taking the brass out of the tumbler, I clean out all residual walnut media and walnut dust. I then use a little Imperial sizing wax on a RCBS pad to lightly coat the neck area of the cases.

I use a RCBS Rock Chucker single stage press. When using this or any other press, ensure that the ram has no lateral play or side-to-side slop–that will kill your bullet run-out.

Bugholes from Bipod
Precision Shooting with Froggy
http://www.accurateshooter.com/shoot...es-from-bipod/