View Single Post

Old 04-14-2017, 06:47 PM

Liked 1,134 Times in 521 Posts

"Improving" guns seems to be one of the things we like to do! Not all mods are improvements, though...

This forum has done a good job of pointing out the pitfalls of improving your SD pistol with a metal guide rod.

The SD does not lend itself to a lot of other mods -- like a M&P or Glock -- but has enough to keep the new gun owner busy. I think the wider take-down plate is wonderful at the price, and admit I had trouble making the original take-own plate work (several folks have pointed out that it is a skill that can be learned, but I just had a lot of problems until I bought an aftermarket part).

The SD is not a bad gun to play around with modifying when you are learning about striker-fired pistols. It is not a terribly expensive gun (think of the expensive 1911's that have been destroyed by Bubba gunsmithing!) and most mistakes can be compensated for by buying a new part (except for the frame, which is serial numbered and not replaceable). But to learn how strikers function, see how interference-fit cross pins work, figure out how to remove and replace sights, install a new trigger, etc., the SD is a pretty good test bed.

Nothing wrong with keeping it stock, either. The SD is a very reliable and accurate pistol at a super price -- great value for the money.

Last edited by S&W Rover; 04-14-2017 at 06:54 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: