View Single Post

Old 04-15-2017, 09:52 AM
US Veteran

Liked 32,340 Times in 5,474 Posts
Default An inadvertent felony in Texas

Recently spent a few days in Texas. While there we went to a nice looking seafood restaurant on the Gulf Coast, entered, found a table, ordered, had a nice meal, paid our check, and left through the same entry door. Fortunately, we made it through the meal without having to draw our handguns in self-defense.

While opening the door to leave I saw posted on the inside of the entry door was a "51%" sign, used in Texas to advise the public that carry or possession of a handgun on the premises, with or without license, is a felony offense.

I have no problem with the laws of the State of Texas. I would suggest, however, that requirements for posting those 51% signs be changed so that the signs are visible BEFORE someone is inside, thus already in the act of committing a felony. In this case I was inside the premises long enough to order lunch, consume a dozen oysters, half-a-dozen stuffed mushrooms, an order of onion rings, and a cold refreshing glass of beer, then visit the gents room and pay my check, all done BEFORE the sign became apparent.

I predict that a test case will be coming along. I hope I am not the defendant, although I think a strong defense could be made.
The Following 8 Users Like Post: