View Single Post

Old 04-15-2017, 02:01 PM

Liked 13,323 Times in 3,303 Posts

I used to have one, but it was a cheap Stevens with a hardwood stock and forearm. The selector switch was on the hammer. Having grown up on a single shot shotgun, with a manually cocked hammer, it was no big deal for me to cock or uncock. I learned how the first day and never had a problem.

I was having a painting party one day when I started off painting bow camo, and added a Sears 12 ga pump, and that Stevens 22/20 got the treatment too. I used that little Stevens for squirrel hunting for years. Since deer season was open the same time as squirrel, the plan was to use the 22 barrel for squirrels, and keep a round of #2, 3" magnum buckshot in the 20 barrel in case a deer "walked up on me." It never happened to me, but it could have. I learned the "two shells between my fingers" and could reload it not quite as fast as I could shuck a pump, but fast enough. Before and after deer season #6 shot was in the 20 gauge barrel.

I considered it to be the finest "pot hunters" gun ever made. I wish I'd kept it.
John 3:16 .
The Following 2 Users Like Post: