View Single Post

Old 04-15-2017, 02:52 PM

Liked 26,311 Times in 9,122 Posts

Once you have accumulated several die sets (of the same brand or mixed) you will find that there are many interchangeable parts. The threads are all ISE standard (and usually fine pitch). Adapter nuts and decapping pins are in just a few diameters. So, you can "Borrow" parts from on die set to see if you have bent or off center parts.

RCBS and Bonanza used to have vender's repair kits. I picked up a number of these as gun shops went out of business. Those really helped with mixing and matching parts!

Having spare decapping pins is a must. Some brands have more than one size (RCBS, older Bonanza, & Redding) some of them are "T" shaped (Dillon, and older Lyman). NOTE if you ever load PPC or BR cartridges, they use extra small flash holes to contain high pressures. Using regular small pins will enlarge the flash hole and make the cases not as consistent as the cases with the extra small holes. (I did this to 55 of my 22 BR cases by decapping in a universal decapping die! They no longer are as accurate!)

Ivan