View Single Post

Old 04-15-2017, 06:00 PM

Liked 5,259 Times in 1,732 Posts

'Bill Bate's' post struck a chord with me. I bought my first Browning O/U when I was 20 y.o. .. I was 190 lbs. and all but 6 ft. tall. The O/U was a Lightning with 28" barrels and in 12 ga. It fit me like a custom fit. I could shoot the heck out of it on field birds, trap and even live pigeons. Two world famous trap and live pigeon shooters were customers of the LGS that I worked part time while in college. They were Dan Orlich and Jody Devers. They gave me informal training out on the very first trap range to be called "Harold's Club Trap and Sheet Range." I shot that O/U for 20 years and finally realized that I wasn't shooting it as well as I had once. I had picked up 30 lbs. and had lost some mobility in my neck due to a HS football injury. I thought about having that great shotgun re-fitted to my present physical limitations and shape. I didn't. I just couldn't alter that faithful old gun. I bought a new Browning O/U in 12 ga. Lightning bored Skeet and Skeet. I never shot it until it had been fitted to me. This is a long winded way of confirming what 'Bill Bates' is telling us in the above post. The shotgun, no matter what brand or cost, has to fit one's existing physical requirements and limitations. Most everyone can make an ill fitting shotgun work pretty well on going away or on coming shots. But, when the target is coming or going at a divergent angle, the fit must be close to perfect for us at that time. Of course the mental aspect of shooting well comes into play if one knows that their shotgun does not fit well and some shot requirements are going to be suspect confidence suffers and therefore results. Thirty years later after selling that first Browning, I was back down to 190 lbs. and still in fairly good shape. I had the Epiphany that if I had only put that O/U in the safe and kept it, I could now pick it up and do quite well. Oh well, lesson learned. ......
The Following User Likes This Post: