View Single Post

Old 04-16-2017, 12:47 AM

Liked 968 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistered View Post
I would simply like opinions on the matter of CC. I have been 'into' guns & shooting since the 70's and have NEVER CC'd. I have open carried a lot but typically that has been when hiking, hunting, fishing, camping etc. but have never (yet) had my CC permit.

I am not saying threats do not exist but I see (on some other forums - not this one) where CC is almost a fanatical obsession with some people. I read posts about people questioning how what they should use for CC on the beach, formal events, bicycling even in the shower etc. I once read a thread about a question on how to CC at a nudist camp! but quite frankly I do not see the need to CC everywhere - especially it is nothing more than an obsession.

Statistically we are probably most likely to become injured or dead due to a traffic accident followed by other natural (or non-natural) events.

I am NOT passing judgement on anyone or where and when they prefer to CC but I would simply like rational, intelligent input on the subject and not the typical 'because I can' or because 'I can't carry an LEO on my back' etc. Thanks.
I CC when I can, but to be honest I live a very low risk life. I live in a safe area, I don't generally go places with a lot of people and I don't go around looking for trouble. I CCed many years ago (in the 80s and 90s) and then went through years when I was moving around, changing states and so forth, which I didn't carry and didn't really miss it. For the last six years I've been settled in a state that allows CC and I do it whenever I can. To me it seems a lot like carrying a cell phone. If I leave home without it the practical side of my brain says "don't worry, how many years did you live without a cell phone and everything went fine", the (boy scout) side of my brain says "oh ****, am I going to feel stupid if I really need it the one time I leave it at home". Now that I've gotten used to carrying a firearm it feels the same way, the one time I leave it at home is the one time I'll need it. Carrying may seem obsessive to those who don't do it, but the best way to describe it is the feeling you get when you leave without your cell phone.
IMO "Because I can't carry a LEO" is actually a perfectly intelligent and rational answer. Criminals very, very seldom commit crimes in the presence of a LEO so it makes complete sense that times when there isn't a LEO around are the times you can most expect to be a victim. To put it another way, If I could carry a LEO, I wouldn't carry a gun.