View Single Post

Old 04-16-2017, 08:23 AM

Liked 12,739 Times in 3,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bates View Post
Browning or Beretta is a bit like Colt vs Smith & Wesson. Either will do the job and both should last a life time.

Okay, I'm a Beretta guy. A large part of that is I've never found a Browning that really fit me. Browning and Beretta both run about the same when it comes to length of pull. Where they vary is in approaches to drop at comb and heel; comb width and cast off. I'm not a fan of adjustable combs. I prefer a gun that fits from the get go.

There are some minor mechanical differences that make me also prefer Beretta. One of those is how the look up. Browning use plates bellow the barrels that slide into a bite. Beretta use tapered pins that go into bites that sit between the barrels. Beretta's lockup system allows the action to be a little bit shorter top to bottom. The taper on the pins allows them to remain tight as they wear.(this type of locking system is also used on the new FN built Winchester 101s)

To me the Berettas tend to feel a little better between the hands. They feel a little more lively, nimble and lighter than their actual weight. The 12 gauge Brownings tend to feel clunky and like a two by four tipped on its side in my hands.

Again we are talking subtle personal fit and handling issues and your milage may vary.

So again Browning vs Beretta is a personal thing. Pick the shotgun that fits and handles well for you. With shotguns fit is everything. Either will last a lifetime with good care and both will do the job.

I don't always shoot over under but when I do I prefer Beretta Shotguns.

Been shooting this one since the mid 1970s

Really nice. Is that a BL-4 ? Love the old Berettas