View Single Post

Old 04-16-2017, 12:59 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcvs View Post
I was curious as to valuation as it doesn't really fit into a standard valuation scale. Perhaps soon I will replace the sights as I do have the replacement target front sight and the ability to fabricate the rear blade. I do know that the front blade is likely serial numbered to this gun. All visible numbers match.

I paid $775 for this one in December of 2013.
I will interject that the majority of collectors go for "condition" meaning fine, original finish, minimal wear, and some like the older S&W factory refurbished (which are fine with me too) ... HOWEVER ... I go for mechanical condition as my primary focus with overall condition / originality next.

A choosy collector would likely not purchase this for a collectible value but a shooter would !! Heck I have 2 or 3 in just about this condition that are tight as a clam when barrel is clasped shut, indexes perfectly and locks up (ready to fire) tightly.

I'd say all day long $2K is easy, if it is mechanically sound. How much more than $2k will be better determined on a physical inspection.
I, personally, would prefer to have an "honest" NM3 than one that had been refinished or disguised with touch ups. The lines on your frame look nice and sharp. I'm presuming the barrel rib is just as sharp.

I have paid many times more than that for an 8", 44 Target NM3 in appx 95% original condition and much, MUCH, more than that for a 95% original condition NM3 Target in .45 S&W Schofield, 6.5" barrel.

Be careful if you find one of the latter because there were many made in .450 British but the ones in .450 are spattered with British proofs in various, very obvious, spots. The British .450 NM3s are not very sought after. I know a dealer that has one for sale for at least the past 5 years. Beside that he is asking too much for the condition it is in, it just doesn't raise an eyebrow for a hard core S&W Model 3 collector.

Years back i would purchase a NM3 that needed a hammer or extractor etc but I would not purchase any that were feeling loose or "clicky" when clasped shut.

NOW, if I find a NM3 that is mechanically sound, lacking only some finish or a few bumps and dings ... I'm an interested party.

So many members and shooters (especially the SASS guys and others who enjoy shooting the older guns) seems recently found out there are other "old west" guns than Colt SAAs.

Why would you carry a Colt SAA in the 1870s when you could load shoot and reload the S&W 4 times in the same time it takes to shoot and reload 6 in the Colt SAA ? Beside that, I'm just partial to S&Ws. They WERE and still ARE the finer made gun.

Last edited by model3sw; 04-16-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling
The Following 3 Users Like Post: