View Single Post

Old 04-16-2017, 03:29 PM

Liked 87 Times in 26 Posts
Default Is 4 MOA dot size too big?

I'm looking to pick up a red dot sight for my sport 2 and am new to both AR's and red dots. I use a mossberg 500 for HD, and a 10/22 for target shooting/small game and plinking. I'm thinking the use for my AR is going to be plinking and SHTF.

I'm looking for a red dot for $200 or less. So far the 2 names that keep coming up in my research are Vortex and Primary Arms. I handled an AR inside my LGS that was equipped with a Vortex Strike Fire 2 and loved it. I like the warranty the brightness and the shape(tube length and mount) more than the primary arms micro dot.. however the vortex has a 4 MOA dot compared to a 2 MOA dot that the primary arms has. I have no first hand experience with primary arms. I do like the looks of the older Primary Arms M3 clone(looks similar to the strike fire 2), however I think its discontinued because I cant find any sites that sell them. Also people seem to talk well about the Bushnell TRS-25 which has a 3 MOA dot, but again I prefer the looks of the Vortex.

So, has anyone tried any of these sights? Are there any other red dots that you would recommend? Is 4 MOA dot size too large?

Thanks , and please post pics if you have any of these optics or one you would recommend.