View Single Post

Old 04-16-2017, 10:29 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevans555 View Post
I'm here researching, asking about Dot size so I can make an informed decision. Battery life isnt as important to me, as this is just a range toy for me and I can buy batteries. I'm not going into battle and this isnt a duty weapon. You've commented twice now in this thread, but havent actually commented on the subject. Do you actually have a preference in dot size? If so, please contribute to the thread... If not, please move along.

Thanks
My second comment was not to you... Neat thing about forums... sometimes the conversation and comments are not just to you.

As for your question on dot size... it depends on what you will be using the rifle for, as well as personal preference. As has already been stated, a 4 MOA dot is easier to pick up quickly than a 2 MOA dot... but the 4 MOA dot covers more of the target. If you are shooting man size targets at 100 yards, not a big deal, but if shooting aluminum cans at 100 yards, you may need to change how you have the POA and POI situated within your dot... I have mine where POI is center of my dot. Others set POI to be the top edge of the dot so that they can try to be more precise... however I don't look at a red dot as a precision tool, more of a quick target acquisition tool.

There are also red dot sights that offer different reticles than just a dot. Like a small dot centered in a larger circle, cross hairs, or even a chevron with bullet drop compensation. One of these may be better for your use. So, it isn't that simple to answer your question...

I also saw where you said the rifle could be used for "SHTF". If so, battery life is probably more important than dot size... doesn't matter if it is a 2 MOA dot or 4 MOA dot if the battery is dead when "SHTF".
The Following 2 Users Like Post: