View Single Post

Old 04-17-2017, 12:21 AM

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

My 9mm Shield came in last week (my first tupperware pistol -- couldn't resist the price after rebate), and I put in an Apex sear today.

I guess I was lucky. I expected a horrible factory trigger. After a little dry firing and with a small dab of grease on the factory sear the trigger pull averaged 5 lb. 6 oz. If I hadn't already ordered an Apex sear before the pistol arrived I might have just done some minor work on the original.

The Apex (sear only, factory springs) reduced trigger pull to an average of 3 lb. 14 oz., so right at 1.5 lb. reduction.

The trigger bar loop gap from the factory was .024", which left the trigger break and reset out a bit farther than necessary even with the Apex sear. I took the gap down to .016", which still left about .110" of overtravel measured rear of the trigger at the top (held punches behind the trigger). I wouldn't want it in much closer, and the existing amount of overtravel is tolerable.

While I had it apart I fixed the horribly stiff manual safety. I didn't do any major reshaping, just broke sharp edges and a light polish on the safety and plunger. I cleaned all the gunk out of the plunger channel. Much better now. I still may have to build up the lever a little with Acraglas.

The striker block and tunnel could use cleaning up, but after reading about how stubborn rear sights on Shields are I think I'll just let it be. The roughness isn't noticeable during shooting and doesn't seem to harm the actual trigger break. Maybe it will smooth out in time.

I fired 100 rounds of lead reloads yesterday without a hitch except for sore thumbs and fingers from loading the magazines. Those springs sure are stout. I'm looking forward to shooting next weekend with the improved trigger.

Last edited by flyingbrass; 04-17-2017 at 12:24 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: