View Single Post

Old 04-17-2017, 02:58 PM

Liked 349 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
Well, just tooling around with my 26 and a spent case, the trigger easily resets long before the barrel unlocks enough to eject the case.

Now, given that the striker is what pushes the trigger forward, it would seem to me that that indicates that the striker is in its normal "semi-cocked" position. In other words, that it's impossible to reset the trigger without also resetting the striker. The trigger spring just holds the bar up to catch the striker.

There's little-to-no decent information online, so I think I'm just going to have to wait until I get a misfire with a 9 to see for myself.

I believe your premise is incorrect. There are a couple options for holster selection when it comes to the example you're discussing:

(1) The holster doesn't cover the trigger--well, not the greatest CCW selection in the world. However, holsters with exposed triggers that are designed for anything other than competition usually have some kind of retention device (a strap or a thong) that goes around the back of the hammer to hold the gun in the holster. With that strap in place, the hammer can't move back, preventing the gun from firing. Most of these also leave the cylinder exposed, which isn't idea for frequent use because it's not going to protect the gun.

(2) The holster covers the trigger--in which case, it's going to prevent a discharge. Whether or not the cylinder can move is irrelevant. And such a holster is going to cover the cylinder anyway.

(3) The holster covers the cylinder, but doesn't protect the trigger--most likely because it's a soft, flimsy piece of garbage.

Which brings us to--

That's because you're viewing the gun in isolation of the holster, a mistake lots of people make.

DA/SA, DAO, and striker-fired pistols rely on the holster to make carry safe. Without the holster, you could jam something sideways against the trigger and get a discharge. In that respect, striker-fired guns with trigger safeties are a little better (but not by much, tbh).

Note that I didn't say "pistols without manual safeties". Lots of people get hung up on the presence of a manual safety. In reality, it's a false sense of security, because manual safeties have a funny habit of deactivating themselves given just the right bump.

As I explained above, revolvers are just as dependent on the holster.

There's really no advantage, safety-wise, to one particular mechanism or another. As a private citizen, it's simply a matter of what you can shoot best, and what you're comfortable with.

Law enforcement agencies have to contend with standardization, training, and making sure all officers can use the issued weapon. In that respect, the Glock has a pretty clear advantage over, say, the Smith DA/SA and DAO pistols. Glocks are very easy to shoot what I'd call "adequately"--good enough to qual with. I'd consider DA/SAs the most difficult trigger style to master or even shoot well with--the transition from double to single is jarring. And the DA pull can be a little long for someone that doesn't spend a lot of time shooting, or has very small hands.

Add that to the fact that there's a Glock for every size hand, its low price tag, and that they're just the easiest damn things in the world to field-strip and maintain, and it's easy to see why police agencies were so taken with them.
HELLO FRIEND! I UNDERSTAND YOUR POINTS. MY EXAMPLE WITH THE HOLSTERED PISTOLS, WAS A BIT EXAGERATED, IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE MY POINT MORE OBVIOUS. YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, ANY DECENT HOLSTER WILL NOT ALLOW THE HOLSTERED GUN TO FIRE. (ACTUALLY, EVEN THE CHEAPER ONES I HAVE SEEN, WOULD NOT ALLOW A GUN TO FIRE EITHER). MY EXAMPLE WAS MORE OF A HYPOTHETICAL, SO I COULD TALK ABOUT EACH MECHANISM SEPERATELY. PERHAPS THIS NEXT EXAMPLE MIGHT MAKE MY POINT MORE CLEAR. ANY LONG ARM, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN THAT I NOW, HAS MANUAL SAFETY. THERE ARE NO HOLSTERS USED USUALLY WITH THEM, RATHER OCCASIONALLY A SLING, OR ELSE, IN HAND ALL DAY. IMAGINE, THAT SOMEONE HAS TO CARRY A PISTOL/REVOLVER, IN THIS SAME MATTER. IMHO, THE STRIKERFIRE/ NO MANUAL SAFETY PISTOL WOULD BE THE MOST PRONE OF THE BATCH TO GO BOOM UNINTENTIONALLY. MAYBE NOT, BUT THAT IS MY OPINION, AND I WILL GLADLY RESPECT YOURS IF IT DIFFERS. THE POINT HOWEVER THAT YOU MAKE ABOUT HOW EASY GLOCKS ARE TO SHOOT, THERE MY FRIEND, I COULD NOT DISAGREE MORE. SEE, OVER HERE IN EUROPE, GLOCKS ARE EVERYWHERE. I HAVE DONE ABOUT 75% OF MY HANDGUN SHOOTING WITH GLOCKS, MOSTLY 17 19 AND 21. I FIND IT VERY DIFICULT TO AIM WITH THEM. SOME SAY ITS THE GRIP ANGLE. I DONT KNOW. ALSO, I DISLIKE THE FACT, THAT THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT GUNS FORM FULLY LOADED TO ALMOST EMPTY, IN TERMS OF WEIGHT. THIS MIGHT BE SOMETHING THAT AFFECTS ME TOO PERHAPS. 3RD GEN SMITHS ARE HARD TO FIND ON THE OTHER HAND, BUT WHOEVER HAS TRIED MINE, THEY ARE TURNED TO MARKSMEN RIGHT OFF THE BAT!! ESPECIALLY THE 4506 VS THE 21, ACCORDING TO EVERYONE AT THE RANGE, THERE IS NO COMPARISON ON HOW SUPERIOR THE S&W IS IN EASE OF SHOOTING. I WILL AGREE WITH YOU ON THE LOW COST ADVANTAGE THOUGH, AND PERHAPS THE INTERCHANGABILITY OF PARTS, AND EASE OF REPAIRS MOSTLY, NOT MAINTENANCE PER SE, THAT MADE THEM FAVORABLE WITH THE LE. THOSE WHERE ALSO THE REASONS WHY OUR RANGE SWITCHED FROM CZ TO GLOCK IN THE DISTANT PAST.