View Single Post

Old 04-17-2017, 04:21 PM

Liked 181 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinSoldier View Post
Been busy so I have not posted for awhile.

Beginning of March I was browsing the for sale section of the forum (Dangerous for me, I need to stay out of there and away from pawnshops LOL.) and there it was - beautiful 629-1 with my favorite type of grip (Craig Spegel smooth extended boot grip) already on it.

I have a pretty decent collection of 3" Smiths but have been actually looking for a nice 4" 67-1. I only have one other N frame in my collection and was not that interested in them until now.

Looked at the picture in the ad and thought, "Hmmm very nice, already has Spegels. Will fit into the 3" collection awesome." The owner wanted to trade for a good condition 3913 plus cash. Thought "Will make a great 6 shot mostly .44 Special with magnum power occasionally when you need it." So I contacted the owner, the 3913 and the cash was sent, and now its mine.

Took it to the range and shot some 240 grain factory .44 Special LSWC's out of it. A very fun and accurate revolver to shoot! Recently purchased some Speer Gold dot Short Barrel in both .44 Special and Magnum to try out. Will be developing handloads for it as well. Probably a good plated 200 grain at 900 fps to practice for the Speer 200 grainers and a light 240 grain soft point at around 1100 fps for some more punch when necessary.

My brother loves .44's and thinks that I should switch my mountain carry gun from my 3" 65 to this 3" 629-1. Thinking about it. For those that have them, what do you use them for?
I think you are really going to like the .44. I have 2 629s, a 3" Talo and a 6.5". Also a Lew Horton 24-3 3". They are pretty accurate and a pleasure to shoot with .44 special ammo. It's a addiction you will enjoy.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: