View Single Post

Old 04-18-2017, 08:16 AM

Liked 2,444 Times in 1,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwins View Post
This is really really interesting. Yes, I was figuring hard to hold the gun still. A bystander at the range mentioned that he was impressed with my control: on the second load of ammo of ever shot through the gun. But I smacked the heck out of my hand. The second knuckle of my index finger is still numb, 10h later. Yikes! Almost all the pain was the mag, the discussion was fairly mellow.

Good morning, keithwins. I thought perhaps this was what was happening to you; hence my earlier post.

But I should address specifically how one may avoid the hammering effect of the trigger guard on your finger. The general principle is the same: let the gun go where it wants to go. But your specific issue deals with the gun's sharp, backward lurch into the finger.

Here is where bent, relaxed elbows come in. When the gun fires, let your elbows bend with the rearward movement of the gun just enough to cushion the blow. It doesn't take much; if one allows the elbows to be entirely limp, offering no resistance at all, then getting struck in the forehead is a possibility.

Maybe an analogy will help. Think of the arm as like a recoil spring in a semi-auto; which, when the gun fires, allows the sharply-recoiling slide to compress it just enough to extract and eject the fired case and load the next round, but not so much as to damage any parts in the gun. Not a perfect analogy, but maybe it will help a bit.

I should mention that this must not be a conscious act; one just allows the elbows to flex with the recoil. Trying to do it consciously means that the shooter is trying to anticipate the shot and the recoil which accompanies it. That of course will degrade accuracy significantly.

Well, I don't know if that will help you much, but keep asking questions here and the chances are very good that the members collectively will steer you in the right direction and get you where you want to go. That's what this forum has done for me and a lot of others.

Regards,
Andy