View Single Post

Old 04-18-2017, 09:44 AM

Liked 621 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaso45 View Post
I just picked up my MH Pocket .38 from the gunsmith. He had to TIG weld a new firing pin on the hammer. Some things I've found out. There was NO .38 S&W Merwins, they were all .38 MH and the rounds haven't been made since 1914. The .38 S&W base is too big for the cam at the back. If you have a folding hammer that doesn't have a half cock, it's probably not broken but just a Hopkins and Allen hammer, different shape. Mine is also a 3 screw side plate, and the finish is at least 90% though a friend thinks it's been re-nickeled. Mine has the 5 inch barrel and the biggest fault is a chip out of the bottom of the left grip. Having trouble with my e-mail or I'd send pictures.
.38 S&W has always worked in my MH. My Dad used to shoot it all the time when he was a kid with 38 S&W and I also shot it when I was much younger. Since then I have decided not to fire anymore smokeless ammo in it though. But all of the .38 S&W ammo I have used in it worked just fine.
Also the .32s are in .32 MH and .32 MH Long (for the large frame 7 shot Merwins). Although the .32 MH long case is a hair shorter than .32 S&W long, .32 S&W long fits in my 7 shot MH.
However, I had a very early Hopkins & Allen .32 Long that was chambered in .32 MH Long and .32 S&W longs would NOT chamber in it. The case was definitely too long for the shoulders in the chamber. So the tolerances in the chambers either varied a bit, or someone at some point reamed out my 7 shot MH to accept .32 S&W long.

Last edited by twaits; 04-18-2017 at 09:48 AM.