View Single Post

Old 04-18-2017, 10:03 AM
US Veteran

Liked 14,345 Times in 5,471 Posts

Parts Model 1 1/2 guns are almost impossible to find today. A few years ago, you would run across one from time to time, but I have been watching a long time for an under $150 beater and they just do not go up for sale anymore. I started my collecting with 32 Tip-ups back when you could pick up a beater for $50 and a nice shooter for $100. Often the hinge screw was so loose that the barrel wobbled. The solution was to find a slightly larger screw, drill and tap the hinge, reshape the screw head and install. Simple, effective, and solved the problem. The big issue is finding a screw that is not all-thread. You need that solid shaft through the hinge to the short threaded end.

David Chicoinine's book has exact measurements for a New Model 1 1/2, as you noted. Chances are, however, that if you had a screw made to the exact dimensions of the original one, it would result in a loose barrel. Finding the right screw may prove to be an impossible task and having one manufactured may be the solution A slightly larger shaft diameter may be in order to make the hinge tight. Good luck with your project, since saving a broken antique S&W is always a worthy endeavor.