View Single Post

Old 04-18-2017, 12:49 PM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Cool A load for Steppenwolf Fans

I ran across something interesting on the internet yesterday while I was browsing and listening to some older Steppenwolf music for those of you who are fans you will remember an album they put out called Slow Flux. The song was titled Earsplittenloudenboomer. I always wondered where that title came from and decided to do some research. Its turns out there really is something called an Earsplittenloudenboomer. I am sure everyone knows who Parker Otto Ackley was, so I won't do any biography stuff, but as you may know he was a wildcat cartridge freak and he once came up with a round called a .22 Eargesplittenloudenboomer this appropriately named cartridge was developed by Ackley for Bob Hutton of Guns & Ammo magazine, and was intended solely to exceed 5,000 ft/s (1,500 m/s) muzzle velocity. Ackley's loads only managed 4,600 ft/s (1,400 m/s)(Mach 4.2), firing a 50-grain (3.2 g) bullet. Based on a .378 Weatherby Magnum case, the case is impractically over-capacity for the bore diameter, and so the cartridge remains a curiosity. The advent of slow burning smokeless powders might have changed the equation, but in a cartridge case that routinely holds over 100-grains of powder, it’s hardly worth the effort.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: