View Single Post

Old 04-18-2017, 03:49 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,167 Times in 4,569 Posts

If the gun has to be made prior to 1946 the Beretta models 21 and 950 are too new AFAIK. But if you are switching to a .38 caliber revolver then you can easily come up with a gun that was made in the early 1940s. If a 20 year old gun is required.

Quote:
OK--second question: I'm saying that in 1989, New Jersey, the father gives his daughter her mother's Beretta 1934 model, .380 caliber. For a license, the daughter would have to apply, yes? In other words, her father couldn't organize any of that for her?
If anyone on the Forum is familiar with New Jersey guns laws from the early 1960s and before they can assist. I would wager the current restrictive gun laws in NJ did not exist in their present form before the mid-1960s but I could be very wrong - New York City's handgun laws pre-date the 60s by 60 years! So NJ could have been using similar laws before the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968.

Guns brought back from Europe after WW2 would be very unlikely to be registered, even if NJ had registration at the time. I had two (I still have one) old .25 autos and believe me they were in possession of someone who had them in the 1940s, I know because it was family, and they were in NYC unregistered when I got them and they left NYC unregistered when I moved to Texas.

Which reminds me - there were other diminutive .25 ACP autos in America as well as .32s. The .380s back in the day were not particularly small; not the ones I can dream up, anyway.

There were very many small "pocket pistols" from the late 19th century onward - a host of small revolvers were known as pocket pistols. .32s and .38s. Whether they were too large for a woman to tote around is a different subject.
The Following User Likes This Post: