View Single Post

Old 04-18-2017, 04:38 PM

Liked 1,577 Times in 400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKmesa View Post
Bill:

I once again have spent some time looking at your photos and I've got to ask - is the nickeled trigger stud that protrudes on the left side under the cylinder domed or smooth with the frame surface? It looks domed to me - very cool. In addition to the pinto-ing I love all of the other special touches - checkered trigger and back strap, but the over the top touches are the nickeled pins and the nickeled small screws in the rear sight - now that is attention to detail.

Did you ever get the historical docs from the SWHF? If so, does it indicate who it went to and what the cost was for the gun?

Thanks again,
Hello Richard,

Many thanks for the renewed interest in this very special gun. I proudly exhibited it at last year's SWCA Symposium in Baton Rouge and have posted two photos of the display below.

In addition to the Roy Jinks letter of authenticity, I have received all available documentation from the S&W Historical foundation, including the hand written order form taken over the phone, a hand written memo directly from Col. D.B. Wesson concerning custom sights, and shipping/receiving paperwork from Iver Johnson Sporting Goods in Boston. As you can see from these papers, the gun was initially ordered on Dec. 10th, 1937 by Fred B. Collins of Wayland, Mass., and shipped on Jan. 28th, 1938. It sold for $60 and was highly customized, including not only the nickeled cylinder, ejector rod, thumb piece and pins, studs and screws, but also a fine, custom checkering pattern, provided by the purchaser, on both front and back straps, hammer, trigger and top of barrel and rear sight mount. The extra height McGivern sights and test firing criteria are described in several of the documents below. I was able to obtain an original advertising flyer for the new S. & W. "357" Magnum Revolver, also pictured below.

In researching the original owner, Fred B. Collins of Wayland, Mass., I found that he was married and owned a small clothing store in 1937. Shortly before WWII, however, he and his wife apparently moved to Canada, where I could find no further information about him or the gun. I am given to understand that it surfaced at auction a half century later and was in the hands of private collector(s) until I purchased it at auction several years ago.

According to Mr. Jinks' letter, it left the factory wearing magna stocks, otherwise exactly as it shows today. I paired the display with a period correct box and S.A.T. along with two boxes of correct ammunition from 1937/38. I sent the gun and a pair of original grip medallions to world renowned custom stock maker Keith Brown and had a set of magnas fitted which give the gun its original look. The photo also shows the hand carved stocks which came with the gun when I bought it.

I hope this proves to be interesting reading, and please let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Almost forgot. Yes Richard, the nickle plated trigger stud you asked about is indeed domed.

Bill