View Single Post

Old 04-18-2017, 08:42 PM

Liked 3,055 Times in 1,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
That's just like mine. They only made them like that for two years. Then they started checkering them. I don't know if it really adds anything to the value, but they are somewhat scarce.
One day at an antique barn, the owner was trying to shoot some pigeons inside close to roof. After missing them several times, he asked me to try. 2 shots to figure where the rifle was sighted in for, then 2 head shot pigeons with xtr 22mag. Guy looked at me hitting the pigeons, then wouldn't sell it. Looked at gun shows for years to find another one. Bout 2 years ago finally found one at local show. The owner had an exspurt appraise it, and he informed the owner it certainly couldn't be an xtr version cause the stock wasn't checkered.

Bought it not knowing the difference, and it turned out to be early xtr mag version. Paid close to $800 for the thing of beauty and extremely accurate. Had the browning lever 22, and while nice, the plastic coated stock and their bluing ain't even in the same class as the early win walnut. Marlins will never be never have as smooth an action without a lot of custom tuning.

Ya done good to pick those 2 rifles up, they be heirlooms.

Will never sell it.