Thread: Dry fire S&W 41
View Single Post

Old 04-18-2017, 10:42 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72AV8R View Post
I had a new Model 41 in 1963 that I shot bullseye with in college. As I remember it came with a small (about 4"X5") target for dry fire practice. Since that was over 50 years ago my mind might be playing tricks on me. Any of the serious collectors here remember S&W putting such a target in with the paper work?
Perhaps, but I don't recall seeing a dry fire instructional sheet in a S&W .22 auto box, HOWEVER, back then the designated procedure to protect your .22 firing pin and breech face was to keep a fired brass .22 case in the breech end of barrel at all times ... including in storage or to dry fire (only if you must and feel compelled to dry fire). There is no way a blind man can confuse a fired .22 case with a "live" .22 case which was another old topic of conjecture as to why or why not to keep a fired case in the breech.

Every one of my .22 semi-auto target pistols have a fired .22 case or the .22 cal plastic filler caps in the breech when stored. Only problem is after more than a few pulls the fired .22 case (and the plastic filler caps) do not extract so you have to use a cleaning rod from the muzzle end to push it through.

Do not "pluck" the .22 filler case out with a pen-knife or screwdriver.

Now they make bags full plastic .22 fillers for the breech on semi-auto's and revolvers that are dirt cheap but still have to push them out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end of the barrel.

If ever in my life, I am considering purchasing a .22 Target pistol or revolver, once I see a misplaced firing pin strike or the breach area (recessed or not) hammered by the firing pin, I place it back down on the table and walk away.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: