View Single Post

Old 04-19-2017, 08:17 AM

Liked 84 Times in 51 Posts

I have 2554XX and it should be from around 1916. Except for the barrel that w/S on the flat is from '46 or thereabouts. Non-heat treated cylinder, but I've shot Blazer 158gn LRN a time or two.

Who knows why yout SN was punched? As well who knows if the cylinder SN is the one of record? More than fair chance that it is, but w/o access to records of transfer, in lieu of reciept, it's all speculation.

I have a Model 1917 that was purchased from a well respected aution house. Upon receiving shipment I noted the SN of record was not the butt SN, but the assembly number.

Research shined light that when the arm was first listed as coming to auction they had posted the proper SN. However, upon changing over to actual online auction someone listed the assembly number as the SN.

Another arm had a wedge cut out of the center of the butt. A number was stamped on the outside of the wedge still on the butt. That number was the same as the assembly number. Every other stamped SN was matching and a different number.

Regardless, it was purchased from a dealer and that number is the SN of record. The assembly number matched a SN for that arm from an earlier date. The barrel/cylinder/extractor could have been from a later arm.

And it's possible that the frame from a later era was also engraved.

Yet another arm has no SN on the butt or frame. Most likely filed down smooth along w/lanyard plug. A somewhat common practice on surplus arms in the 50's-early '60s. From a different out of state dealer, this SN of record matched the barrel/cylinder/extractor.

A different well known auction house twice sold a pair of arms that not only had no SN on the butt, but had a persons name in semi-pro blocked lettering. They sold them w/SN from the barrel/cylinder/extractor.

They have much more to lose by being a high end firearm auction house than some schmuck that purchased it or had a similar family heirloom from the last century.

Were yours mine I'd shoot it.