View Single Post

Old 04-19-2017, 08:26 AM

Liked 689 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C J View Post
I would assume that the opinions stated here are based on experience. If I thought I was hearing only elitist fluff I'd be somewhere else asking questions. I happen to think that a lower priced but good quality sight can be part of a SD scheme. I just think there needs to be a backup in case of failure. For example with a shotgun I learned from the start to point shoot. If you don't have some of that in you then shooting clays is going to be difficult. You can use your bead but you need to get the gun close enough to use it and that takes point shooting type skill. In a CQB situation, where the shotgun I just bought would be used, I feel point shooting could be very effective. Just getting into position to use a red dot sight could lead to disaster IMO. My reason for wanting a red dot has more to do with shooting slugs at longer ranges and that really isn't super important for a SD weapon designed for close quarters. But it could give a person the edge in a rare situation. The odds of that type of scenario occurring at the same time the sight fails seem pretty small to me. On a rifle I would certainly want to be more secure in the durability of my sight. And again on my AR I have the irons for a backup should the red dot fail.

YMMV as always.
Some PA optics do have backup when it comes to battery life. My PA 2.5x has a reticle that can be either illuminated or non illuminated.