View Single Post

Old 04-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Liked 394 Times in 173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Dennis View Post
That couldn't hurt, but my problem wasn't an empty casing stuck in the chamber. It was similar to the OPs issue with a slightly bent/crushed live round that wouldn't fully chamber and jammed the bolt partially open. The extractor held onto the round just fine, but it was extremely difficult to exert enough force on the charging handle to get it out. It's more than a bit uncomfortable trying to beat on the charging handle with a live round in there. I wound up using the edge of the shooting table to force it open, but it was not a good feeling having to do that. Maybe I need an aftermarket charging handle of some sort.

I chalked mine up to the fact that steel casings are less slick than brass since I've only had the issue with Tul. I could be wrong, though since the OPs occurred with Federal brass.
I was afraid of breaking the thin aluminum charging handle so I used a padded screw driver and pried the bolt back. It took some good effort as I tried first to push the bolt into battery. As soon as the round cleared the chamber it ejected just fine. Here's a couple of pictures of the round.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bullet-1.jpg (19.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Bullet-2.jpg (22.7 KB, 79 views)