View Single Post

Old 04-19-2017, 12:59 PM
US Veteran

Liked 8,827 Times in 1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppero View Post
Calling the 800 number was no help. Smith has passed off the requests and info to the historical foundation
Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation - Letter Process - Insuring that the rich history of Smith & Wesson will continue for generations to come that first requires a letter of authentification here are the instructions.

• The SWHF has partnered with Smith & Wesson to issue letters of authenticity on S&W firearms. Click on the link provided to access a PDF file of the Letter of Authenticity Request Form. Print the form, complete the information requested, and mail the form with your payment to the address indicated. You will receive your letter via return mail.

Apologize as I should have been a little more clear/precise on what to ask....
If you call and talk to a customer service person, tell them that you "have a serial number and would you kindly tell me the model number for this revolver", or ask them the SKU/Product code, they will usually tell you that information, on rare occasion they just may give you the year/month that it was produced, but you just need to chat them up some. Any other requests about the gun, it's features or history will always get you the above re-directs. I've done this several dozen times over the years, up to about a month ago, so you should be able to get the model number confirmed (Mod 14) and the sku/product code. As was shown above by D Brown, the product code should come back as 100338, which is what your gun will turn out to be.
Sending for a history letter may get you additional information as to where your gun shipped, but if the gun was a personal gun that the officer was authorized to carry, you will likely get the name of the distributor who S&W shipped it to. If you are lucky enough to get more, i.e., a department name, then you would be ahead on the information.

The Model 14 in the -5 engineering change was made from 1991 til 1994 when the -6 engineering change was introduced. The -5 version was purportedly made in a quantity of 2000 revolvers.

Good luck

Last edited by SmithNut; 04-19-2017 at 01:05 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: